- NABA National Butterfly count.
- Hummingbird Moths, often mistaken for “baby hummingbirds," show up at plants.
- Highbush Cranberry and Viburnum start producing fruit and will continue until December.
- First brood of immature hummingbirds begin to show up at nectar feeders early in the month.
- Cicadas start calling early in the month.
- Thistle plants begin to seed; goldfinches gather thistledown for nesting material.
- Mallards and Wood Ducks molt into "eclipse" plumage and are unable to fly for several weeks.
- Fall migration starts this month with returning shorebirds.
- Blackbirds begin to flock and appear at feeders.
- Listen for the feeding screeches of young Barred and Great Horned Owls.
- Look for hummingbirds feeding on Trumpet Creeper and Jewelweed flowers.
- Delta Aquarids Meteor shower peaks in late-July.