- Great Backyard Bird Count, mid-month, www.birdsource.org/gbbc
- Project FeederWatch continues, www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw
- February is National Bird Feeding Month
- Listen for cardinals, titmice, House Finches, chickadees and Mourning Doves singing.
- Barred Owls begin calling.
- Killdeer and Eastern Meadowlarks return in late February.
- Large flocks of robins can be seen feeding from fruit-bearing plants like hollies, dogwoods and sumacs.
- Peak of Bald Eagle migration.
- Maple tree sap running.
- Grackles return north.
- Raccoon, woodchuck, beaver, skunk, opossum and rabbit mating seasons.
- Bluebird and other nest boxes need to be cleaned out this month.
- Red-winged Blackbirds return.
- Look for early waterfowl migrants such as Bufflehead, Common Goldeneyes and Redheads as lakes thaw.