- Project FeederWatch continues, www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw
- Christmas Bird Count is this month, birds.audubon.org/christmas-bird-count
- Sumac, Bittersweet, Poison Ivy and other berries remain throughout the winter, providing food for many species of birds.
- Winter raptors may show up, including Snowy Owls and Northern Goshawks.
- Chipmunks and raccoons hole up for the winter, but may reappear with mild winter weather.
- Red-breasted Nuthatches, Pine Siskins, Common Redpolls and crossbills visit feeders now through March.
- Eastern Monarch Butterflies finish reaching their central Mexican overwintering sites starting in late-December.
- Bald Eagles arrive from the North to overwinter.
- This is a great time to teach chickadees and titmice to feed from your hand.
- Watch for late waterfowl migrants such as Northern Shovelers, mergansers, Ruddy Ducks and Common Goldeneyes.
- Geminid Meteor Shower is mid-month.